I feel like I’ve had quite an unproductive week all in all. Not during working hours, obviously, as I’m still working from home. But in relation to everything else. I just can’t get into the habit of reading. It doesn’t help that I’ve got a new phone so have been messing around with new apps and stuff. I just can’t get a routine in place. I miss outside and I miss my lunchtime walks during the week. I know I’m high risk but sometimes I’d love to just throw caution to the wind and go to the shops. I’m normally a pretty independent person so being reliant on other people is tough. It’s starting to wear a bit thin.
Weekly Blog Posts
- BOOK REVIEW – My Dark Vanessa by Kate Elizabeth Russell
This was one of the books I was really looking forward to his year but I put off buying it. I’d bought a huge haul before the lockdown and I’m still trying to cool it with the purchases. However, I had to cave after I saw it all over my Instagram. It felt like everyone was reading this book and I was getting jealous. I got through it last weekend and couldn’t wait to review it. To find out what I thought about it see my review.
- TUESDAY REVIEW – Coffee and Kareem (2020)
Netflix isn’t really known for making great comedy films. Since the streaming service started making their own content, they have released a list of underwhelming, boring, and bad films. Not all of their films are bad but, for the most part, they just want to make content quickly and often. This means greenlighting unoriginal ideas that wouldn’t make any money on general release. Their latest comedy offering looked like one of those films. But I love Ed Helms so I figured I’d give it a chance. Read my review to see if it went against the trend.
- BOOK REVIEW – The Worst Witch by Jill Murphy
Last week I had a sudden desire to reread this book from my childhood. I used to love these books and I loved the TV show adaptation. I was interested to see if the book would live up to my memories. I managed to get through the book in a couple of hours over 2 nights, which really helped me get all my posts in. But was it worth it? Head over to my review to see how if this short novella was worth it.
- THROWBACK THURSDAY – Team America World Police (2004)
Speaking of films I loved from my youth. Team America was one of the funniest films I saw as a teenager. It was phenomenally funny and I could not stop quoting from it. I still get the songs stuck in my head from time to time. It’s not something that I’ve watched recently so I thought this was the perfect time. If ever we all needed a laugh it was now. If you’re also feeling a bit nostalgic then head over to my review.
- FRIDAY FAVOURITES – Albums
Have you seen the Bill Clinton swag thing going around on Instagram? Well, someone I know tagged me in it because he’s an absolute bastard. As he put it, he only did it because he knows how indecisive I am and wanted me to struggle. And I did struggle. It was a nightmare coming up with 4 but I managed it. Until another friend posted her version and moaned about people mainly picking male artists. So, I got a bit of a complex about my all-male choices and had to think again. I decided I might as well make a post about it. Find out my favourites here.
- My Dark Vanessa by Kate Elizabeth Russell
It felt like this took a while because I’ve been reading a lot of short books recently but it was all worth it. I cannot recommend this book enough. Yes, it might be about an unsavoury topic and it might not be an easy read. However, it is engaging and important.
- Little Eyes by Samanta Schweblin and Megan McDowell
I was so excited about this book that I preordered it using my birthday book vouchers. Of course, I’ve only just got around to reading it so I could have waited and saved some cash. Never mind though. It’s looking good so far. I have hopes that it’s going to be creepy. Like a Black Mirror episode.
I think I’ve been pretty good this week. I mean I have just upgraded my phone so I’ve not been completely spend-free but no books.
- The Mindy Project – I used to watch this show all the time but, for some reason, I stopped. I decided to go back to the start and see how I go.
- Ink Master – I love it when people turn random things into a reality show. Competitive tattooing is such a great idea for a show and it’s my new obsession.
- After Life – I watched the second series of Ricky Gervais’ Netflix show in one day. I’ll be honest. Not a fan of the show’s second outing but I guess it’s not the worst thing he’s ever done.
- Middleditch & Schwartz – I love Ben Schwartz, so I gave this show a try. It ended up being pretty good but I’m not sure an improv-based comedy show is really what Netflix has been missing. There were some funny moments but it didn’t seem to work right.
- Last Action Hero (1993) – My friends and I had a second remote movie night and watched this Arnie classic. It’s been a little while since I last saw it so I’d imagined it being shorter. Boy does this film go on a bit. Fun, yes, but long.