At the end of next week my mother retires from her job as a teacher. Something she’s been doing for the last 42 years. It’s a really amazing achievement and she totally deserves the rest she’s about to get! To celebrate, we went for a lovely family lunch at the same Michelin star restaurant I went to for my 30th earlier this year. It was a fantastic experience and the food was just as amazing as the first time. So today has been a wonderful day even if I haven’t actually done anything. All I’ve been able to do since I got back was to relax. And by relax I mean lie in a food coma whilst something on Netflix played in the background. I was intending to read but I was too full to even pick up my book. So, in order to not fall behind again, the plan is to write this, get into bed, and read. The perfect end to a lovely day.
Weekly Blog Posts
- TUESDAY’S REVIEWS – Deadpool 2 (2018)
I thought I would have watched this sequel earlier on in the year but, thanks to circumstances beyond my control, it’s taken me til now to see it. I’ve always been a Deadpool fan so I adored the first film. Cable and Domino are two of my favourite characters so I was beyond excited to see this. But, with this much personal hype, would it love up to my expectations? Find out here.
- BOOK REVIEW – Through the Woods by Emily Carroll
In order to continue my book reviewing streak I desperately picked up a book that I could read in one night. It happened to be this graphic novel that I’ve seen all over the place over the years. I wasn’t sure what to expect but the gothic love in me was intrigued by what Emily Carroll could do. Would this really be as scary as certain reviews have tried to convince me? Check out my review here.
- THROWBACK THIRTY – Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (1988)
We’re over halfway through the year so the number of film in my TBT jar are quickly decreasing. I’ve already got the majority of my existing favourites out of there so, from here on out, I’m left watching films I’m not really aware of. I wasn’t sure what to think of this one but the fact that it was Steve Martin and Michael Caine surely meant I was in safe hands, right? See if that worked out in my review here.
- White Houses by Amy Bloom
After spending over a week on this and only managing to make it a few pages, I decided it was time to put it to one side. I’m really desperate to read this but I don’t want to get into another reading slump. So, instead of forcing myself to continue, I’m doing the right thing and moving on. I’ll get back to this soon.
- The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson
After deciding that I wasn’t really in the right mood to continue with my current read I wandered into a book shop one lunchtime to see if there was something that called to me. Looking through the fantasy section I was drawn to Brandon Sanderson’s books. He’s not an author I’ve ever read before but I know a lot of people on Instagram who love his books. I’ve not had that big of an urge to read something for ages so I took it as a sign and started it immediately. Unfortunately, it’s a lengthy one so I imagine it’ll take me some time.
- Obviously, I made the hasty decision to buy The Final Empire this week so that’s one purchase already. I’ve lost my streak of self-restraint. I’d barely finished reading the prologue of that book before I’d been on Amazon to buy copies of the other two books in the trilogy. How could I not?
- Then I bought a classic Summer trashy book: Mad by Chloe Esposita. This is a book I’ve been (secretly) wanting to read for ages. It’s about two sisters: one has it all whilst the other is horrendously jealous. It’s all about sibling rivalry and the lengths one sister will go to get what she thinks she deserves. It sounds so ridiculously trashy and silly that I just want to read it on a beach. I love me so awful trash.
- Netflix Binges – Taskmaster, Outnumbered, Sugar Rush
I don’t feel like I’ve watched a lot of Netflix this week. Or at least, I’ve watched such boring stuff that I can’t even remember. I’ve started re-watching the great BBC sitcom Outnumbered for the millionth time. It’s so funny and I love the fact that the kids had so much room to improvise. It always cracks me up. Today, as I was in my food slump, I started watching this new Netflix baking show because I’m a sucker for a baking show. I’m not really loving it right now but it’s fine for background noise.